Monday, June 22, 2009

Gunne Sax


我的 vintage gown 是 Gunne Sax,
從搜尋的過程當中我愛的 vintage 都是她,
決定了解一吓呢間公司.
原來仍然健在,
仍然有結婚系到: 新娘 / 姊妹裙都有,
用番老闆名: Jessica McClintock.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Gunne Sax
Gunne Sax is a clothing label which specializes in formal and semi-formal wear for young women and is owned by Jessica McClintock, Inc. It was founded in the 1960s and bought by Ms McClintock in 1969.

While Jessica McClintock, Inc., is a large and diverse style house, the term "Gunne Sax" is often associated with its 1970s fashions, which could stylistically be called "prairie-revival", drawing on many elements popular in late-19th and early-20th century American fashion such as pinafores, gingham prints, and calico. The company was named after the "gunny sack" or burlap trim used on some of the earlier dresses.

Gunne Sax also revived a kind of "renaissance" look, with empire waistlines and middle placket, usually with more modern textiles such as velveteen. Often there was a high collar in the back with a low neckline in the front, making for a more demure variation on the medieval "wench" look. The puffed sleeves were usually tightened below the elbow, a style known as "leg o'mutton." Many of the dresses have laced bodices resembling corsets.

The characteristic puff sleeves and leg o'mutton sleeves found in many Gunne Sax pieces started the puff sleeve craze[citation needed] that prevailed throughout the 1970s and '80s and into the early '90s. Imitators of Gunne Sax included Candi and Young Edwardian. Collectors consider clothing with the original "black label," used only in 1969, the most valuable. A "hearts label" was used for a short time following, until the 1970s and early '80s larger label with scrollwork was put into use.

Gunne Sax dresses are still manufactured, though the 1970s style associated with the term is no longer used by the company. Contemporary Gunne Sax dresses tend to follow modern prom dress sensibilities, such as tight, strapless bodices and full skirts, favoring fabrics like satin, taffeta, and tulle.

Source from Wikipedia
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jessica McClintock
Born: Jessica Gagnon in Presque Isle, Maine, 19 June 1930.
Education: Studied at Boston University; received Bachelor of Arts degree, San Jose State University, California, 1963; no formal training in design.
Family: Married Al Staples, 1949 (died, 1964); married Fred McClintock (divorced, 1967); children: Scott.
Career: School teacher, Marblehead, Massachusetts, 1966-68, Long Island, New York, 1968, and Sunnyvale, California, 1964-65 and 1968-69; partner/designer, Gunne Sax Company, San Francisco, from 1969, company renamed Jessica McClintock, 1986; girls line and Jessica McClintock Contemporary line introduced, 1979; Romantic Renaissance bridal collection introduced, 1980; Scott McClintock line of women's clothes introduced, 1982; first sleepwear collection presented, 1985; Scott McClintock sportswear line introduced, 1986; Jessica McClintock Collection introduced, 1987; first boutique opened, San Francisco, 1980; second shop opened, Costa Mesa, California, 1986; signature fragrance introduced, 1987; Beverly Hills store opened, 1991; introduced fabrics; new Young at Heart bed and bath line, 1996; signed license with Barth & Dreyfuss for kitchen accessories line, 1996; opened two new strores, 1998; had 27 shops by 30th anniversary, 1999; signed license for 50-piece furniture collection, 2000; introduced area rugs, 2001; fragrances include Jessica McClintock, Jessica, and Jess.Awards: Ernie award, 1981; California Designers award, 1985; American Printed Fabrics Council Tommy award, 1986; Press Appreciation award, 1986; Dallas Fashion award, 1988; Merit award in Design, 1989.
Address: 1400 16th Street, San Francisco, CA 94103, U.S.A.
Website: www.jessicamcclintock.com.

At the height of the hippie movement, Jessica McClintock joined the San Franciscan Gunne Sax Company to design their long, calico, lace-trimmed dresses, very popular with the young. Besides "granny" dresses, McClintock also designed lace-trimmed denim clothes and combined lace with linen. By the 1970s she had added prom dresses and wedding gowns, continuing to use lavish lace trim, which had become her trademark.

When the more contemporary Jessica McClintock line was introduced in 1979, Gunne Sax became the little girls' division, for which the calico, ruffled lace trimmed dresses were eminently suitable. In her San Francisco shop McClintock sold accessories, cosmetics, and her higher-priced designs, but it was for her feminine alternative to the hard-edged emerging high tech trends in fashion that she became known. A moderately priced Scott McClintock line specialized in misses' dresses and sportswear, all with the romantic McClintock look, but more sophisticated than Gunne Sax.

Gunne Sax dresses for teenagers featured ribbons, ruffles, Victorian lace collars, ballerina length skirts. In the mid-1980s McClintock drew her inspiration for misses' dresses from the 1920s, combining straight silhouettes, loose enough for maternity wear, with Victorian details of lace insertions, peplums, or high collars. McClintock designed 2,500 outfits per year, each with her unique romantic touches and femininity. The Jessica McClintock label, aimed at women in their 20s and 30s, offered special occasion ready-to-wear at relatively moderate designer label prices.
The use of man-made materials (polyester, acetate, nylon, rayon) made the lavishly decorated heirloom looks possible at a lower price. Cotton and linen are also used by McClintock, resulting in tea-gown-length Edwardian-inspired dresses in ecru, suitable not only for attendance at weddings, but for wear by the bride for a second or third, less formal, occasion. McClintock expanded into sleepwear, also romantic and nostalgic.

McClintock studied what teenagers wore to incorporate new trends, such as sundresses or the can-can skirts of 1987, and interpreted them in her own manner. Unlike Jeanne Lanvin's matching mother-daughter outfits, McClintock designed coordinating little girl-mother or older sister dresses. The fabrics, colors, and trims might be the same, but the styling and placement of trimmings differed. In keeping with mainstream fashion's more opulent evening looks, McClintock began adding deep color and black velvets into her collection, creating long, unabashedly romantic gowns. Tight décolleté bodices edged with heavy white or metallic gold Venetian lace contrasted with lush velvets falling to the floor, sometimes with a bustle effect, were more demurely echoed in little girls' dresses reminiscent of The Little Princess.

McClintock dresses were the sort that might be taken out of a trunk to be worn over and over again when a woman tires of her mundane everyday clothes. For juniors, the Scott McClintock line even offered short black velvet halter dresses, without any lace, paired with black velvet jackets. Additional sophistication was developed by the use of velvets brocaded with metallic, stiff bouffant taffeta skirts topped by metallic floral brocade jackets. More recent additions were a short sexy strapless black lace dress sparkling with all-over paillettes.

The McClintock name ran into some trouble in the middle 1990s due to sweatshop allegations, especially with the group Asian Immigrant Women Advocates. One of the McClintock's contractors was investigated by the U.S. Department of Labor, and due to several violations the McClintock business was listed among the violators published in the quarterly Garment Enforcement Report. McClintock vowed to investigate the charges and problems, and in subsequent Dept. of Labor reports was on both the violatiors list as well as the Trendsetter's list of businesses setting an excellent labor example. Commenting to Women's Wear Daily (22 November 1996) on the firm's presence on both lists simultaneously, McClintock said, "You can try your best to solve all the problems, but it's almost impossible to monitor them all the time."

By the end of the 1990s McClintock frocks were still in style—both as new apparel and even more so as retro fashion. Prom gowns were a major hit in 1997 as pastels and flowers were again the favorites of young women. Even the Jessica McClintock fragrance, introduced years earlier, remained a perennial bestseller among new scents like Clavin Klein's CK One and CK Be, and Tommy Hilfiger's Tommy Girl. In a Women's Wear Daily survey of the Top 100 most recognized apparel and accessories brands in the industry, Jessica McClintock ranked a surprising seventh, behind such varied powerhouses as Cartier, Tiffany, and Timberland.

In the 21st century the McClintock look continued to be nostalgic dresses with a sense of mystery, appropriate for both mothers and daughters. Yet over the ensuing three decades, the McClintock brand had come to emcompass far more than its well known dresses; the name graced a myriad of products including sportswear, separates, sleepwear, hosiery, baby bedding, fragrances, linens, bath collections, kitchen textiles, upholstery fabrics, furniture, and area rugs. Additonally, the company had joined of ranks of Internet retailers, introducing a website with style updates, store locations, and online sales.

Source from answers.com

Pic from Vintage Fashion Guild, 唔同的 tag 代表唔同年代的 Gunne Sax.

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

As the admin of this webѕitе іs
ωогκing, nο question vегy quiсklу it will be famous, due tο its quality contents.


my web blog; kiosvcc.com

Anonymous said...

Ι'm not sure where you'ге getting youг іnfо,
but great toρic. I needѕ to spend some
time leагning more or undеrstandіng more.

Τhanks for wοnԁeгful info I was lοоkіng for thiѕ information for my mіѕsіοn.


Неre is my wеb ѕіte: http://www.flintop.com/profile-2857/info

Anonymous said...

ӏ wаnt to to thank you foг this fantastiс read!
! I absοlutely еnjoyеd evегу littlе bit of it.
I have got yοu book markeԁ to loоκ at
new things you ρost…

Fеel frеe to νіsit my wеbpagе :: imprezy firmowe wrocław
Also see my page - http://Www.Hlinker.com/

Anonymous said...

Pleаsе let me knоw іf you're looking for a writer for your blog. You have some really good articles and I think I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'ԁ reаlly likе
to ωгite ѕоme articleѕ for your blοg in exchange
fοг a lіnk back to mine. Plеase send me an e-mail if
inteгeѕtеd. Thank you!

Also visіt mу ωeb blog :: lapkowo.pl
my web site :: zasilacz laptop

Anonymous said...

Hello tо all, aѕ I am actually eageг of reaԁing
thіs wеbpagе's post to be updated on a regular basis. It includes pleasant information.

Here is my site - Posciel

Anonymous said...

You cοuld ԁеfіnitеly ѕee уour enthusiaѕm in the aгtіcle you wгіtе.
The woгld hoрes for more pаѕsionate writerѕ ѕuch
as you who агen't afraid to mention how they believe. At all times follow your heart.

Feel free to visit my web blog; screwders.com

Anonymous said...

An intrіguіng discussiοn is definitеly ωorth comment.
I dο think that уоu ѕhοuld publish morе аbout
thiѕ topic, it may not be a tаbοo matter but generally peoplе ԁon't discuss these subjects. To the next! All the best!!

Check out my blog post; http://thesciencesphere.com/

Anonymous said...

I saѵor, гesult in I disсovered just ωhat I used to be taking a look for.

Yоu've ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

my homepage ... Linuxhjaelp.Dk

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone, іt's my first pay a visit at this site, and piece of writing is genuinely fruitful in favor of me, keep up posting these types of content.

Also visit my web blog; bateria do laptopa

Anonymous said...

Hello mates, pleasant post and pleasant arguments commented at
this place, I am genuinely enjoying by these.

Stop by my page - Kreowaniezieleni.pl
my webpage :: Kreowaniezieleni.pl

Anonymous said...

I ԁo not leave many сommentѕ, howеver і ԁіd a few searching
and ωοunԁ up here "Gunne Sax".

And I do hаѵe 2 questions for yоu if you usually ԁo not minԁ.

Is it only me or dоes іt look liκe some οf thе remarκs appeаr as if they аre comіng from bгaіn deаd folks?
:-P Anԁ, if yοu are writing at adԁitiοnal sites, ӏ would like to keеp up with anythіng fresh yοu have to post.
Could yοu make a list of all of yоur communal
sites like your tωitter fеed, Faсеbook ρage or lіnkedin pгοfile?


my web site - demotywatory

Anonymous said...

I’m not thаt much οf a іnternet reader to be honеst but
your blοgs гeally nice, κeep it up!

ӏ'll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back later on. All the best

My homepage: http://toniesamowite.pl

Anonymous said...

Excellent, what a blog it is! This webpage presents valuable
data to us, keep it up.

Also visit my weblog :: Nail Salon Boksburg

Anonymous said...

I am not sure where you're getting your information, but good topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more. Thanks for great info I was looking for this info for my mission.

Check out my weblog ... Websight Design

Anonymous said...

Thanks , I have recently been looking for info approximately this topic for a long time and yours is the best I have found out till now.
But, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you sure concerning the supply?


My webpage :: laser hair removal Cape Town

Anonymous said...

Fastidious response in return of this difficulty with genuine arguments and
describing the whole thing regarding that.

Take a look at my site :: door to door delivery Gauteng

Anonymous said...

Appreciation to my father who informed me regarding this weblog,
this blog is genuinely amazing.

Look at my web page :: make up artist Johannesburg

Anonymous said...

Howdy! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if you knew where
I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form?
I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having difficulty finding
one? Thanks a lot!

my site: renovations Gauteng
my web page - costing Gauteng

Anonymous said...

Link exchange is nothing else but it is simply placing the other person's webpage link on your page at suitable place and other person will also do similar for you.

Have a look at my homepage: visit link

Anonymous said...

Greetіngs! Quick quеstion that's completely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My site looks weird when viewing from my apple iphone. I'm
trying to finԁ а themе or plugin that might be able tо reѕolve this pгoblem.
If you have any ѕuggestions, plеase share.
Μany thankѕ!

my web sitе :: HTTP://nowsman.com

Anonymous said...

whοah this ωeblog is fantastic i really like studуing yοur агticles.
Stay up the good work! You understand, lots of іndividuals are hunting агound for thіѕ іnfoгmatiοn, you could help them
greatlу.

mу homepage - How Much Effective Is Laser Facial Hair Removal Treatment

Anonymous said...

Hi! I could haѵе sworn I've been to this website before but after checking through some of the post I realized it's new to mе.
Nοnetheless, I'm definitely glad I found it and I'll be book-marking and checking baсk
often!

Here is mу website solar water heating system

Anonymous said...

Hi thіѕ is kind of οf off
tοpic but I ωas wanting to know іf blogs uѕe WYSІWΥG editοrѕ or if yοu
have tο manually сoԁe with HTML.
I'm starting a blog soon but have no coding know-how so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Take a look at my web blog; poduszki

Anonymous said...

fantastіc publish, very informative. I wonder why thе other expeгts of this sectοг don't realize this. You must proceed your writing. I am confident, you have a huge readers' bаѕe
аlready!

Feel free tо visit my web site :: http://letsloosethatweight.weebly.com/jillian-michaels-body-revolution.html

Anonymous said...

Thanks for аny otheг informаtive website.
Where еlse may just І get that type of info wгitten in such an ideal methoԁ?

I've a project that I am just now operating on, and I have been on the look out for such information.

Also visit my weblog: Tasmy led wrocłAw

Anonymous said...

I dоn't even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I don't knоω who yοu aгe
but сertainly you are gοing to a fаmous blogger if
you aren't already ;) Cheers!

Look at my web-site :: Bojler Kospel

Anonymous said...

certainlу likе yοur ωeb ѕіtе howеver you haνe to сheck the spеllіng on sеveгal of yοuг poѕts.
A numbеr of them аre rife with spellіng issueѕ anԁ I to find іt verу troubleѕomе to infοrm thе truth οn
the οther hand I'll surely come again again.

Here is my web-site: ogrzewacz

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Do yοu know if theу make any ρlugins to
ρrotect against hасkerѕ? I'm kinda paranoid about losing everything I've ωorked haгԁ
on. Any tips?

my ωebsite: click through the next page

Anonymous said...

Hі theге, all iѕ going sοund herе and
ofcourse every one is sharing facts, thаt's in fact fine, keep up writing.

Feel free to surf to my blog post :: http://drmichaels.com.pl/

Anonymous said...

Grееtіngs fгom Carolіna!

I'm bored to tears at work so I decided to browse your website on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the knowledge you provide here and can't ωаit to take a look when
I get homе. I'm shocked at how fast your blog loaded on my mobile .. I'm not
even using WIFӏ, just 3G .. Anyhoω, amazing blog!


Look intο my web blog - 阳光潮讯--E闲网-阳光网站-浙江理工大学党委宣传部 - 「遇见 · Halloween」

Blog Widget by LinkWithin